Here is a great recipe to get you beginners eating more plant based protein sources. Lentils are one of my absolute favourite legumes because they are so high in fibre and have a really nice firm chewy texture. 1/2 cup dried lentils provide about 26 grams of protein, an ideal amount of protein for a meal! This recipe is a great into to lentils.
1 lb ground beef
1 cup dried lentils
1.5 cups no salt added broth
2 tbsp oil
3 stalks celery diced
1 cup mushrooms diced
3 green onions minced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup dried flaked oatmeal
3 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan heat broth to a simmer, add lentils and turn heat down and cover. Let cook until soft (about 15 minutes). Divide cooked lentils in half, set aside, set both portions.
- In a small bowl combine the chipotle and ketchup together.
- In a large saucepan heat oil, cook celery, mushrooms, onions and garlic with oregano and paprika until tender.
- In a food processor, blend cooked veggies, half the cooked lentils and 3 tbsp of the chipotle and ketchup mix. Place blended ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add to the mix, ground beef, oats, eggs, chia seeds and whole lentils. Mix until well combined.
- Prepare a 5×9 inch loaf pan, 9×13 inch baking dish, place mixture into prepared dish and top with remaining ketchup mixture, bake for 60 minutes.