These no bake lemon energy bites are easy to make, which is perfect for lazy foodies like me!
Oatmeal offers a low glycemic index carb source while dates (nature’s candy) provide natural sweetness. This recipe is virtually free of processed sugars and packs a punch of healthy fats from nut butter and hemp hearts. These energy bites are a great snack for a pre or post workout snack, or a healthier alternative to candy or chocolate!
- 14 Mejool Dates (pits removed)
- 3/4 Cup Almond Butter
- 3 Tbsp Ground Flax
- 4 Tbsp Hemp Hearts
- 6 Tbsp Water (or more as needed)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Honey (if desired - omit for vegan recipe)
- 2 tsp Lemon Extract
- 2 Tbsp Poppy seeds
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats (GF if desired)
- In a small bowl, mix ground flax with hemp hearts and water. Let sit for about one minute.
- In a food processor, place pitted dates, almond butter, lemon juice, honey (if using) lemon extract and ground flax mixture. Blend until smooth and sticky.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl, and stir in oats and poppy seeds until well combined.
- Prepare a freezer safe container. Wet hands with warm water and begin forming the mixture into 35 bite sized balls. Place onto freezer safe container.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour and enjoy. Can be kept in the freezer for up to two weeks.
This recipe can be made without honey to make it vegan friendly.
You can easily change up the flavour of this recipe by replacing the almond butter with pumpkin seed, sunflower seed or peanut butter and or replacing the lemon extract with almond, or vanilla.
What are your favourite recipes for quick snacks?
Have you ever made energy bites before?
Are you a lazy foodie like me?